Wednesday 24 November 2010

My new enterprise

Well, it hasn't started yet, but I'm gathering the knowledge and supplies to start making resin jewellery. It's all I think about at the moment, and I've got 101 designs floating around in my head that I can't wait to try out. I feel that this could be really good for my business; it'll be fun jewellery that makes you smile but doesn't cost a packet. I'm also intending to do more gifty things, like Christmas decorations and coasters, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I've tied all this in to my plan to lose weight; two years ago I was 12 stone, having got there from being 18 stone. I got on the scales this morning and found myself at a more than hefty weight of 15 stone 9.5 lbs. So the plan is to get with the programme and lose weight properly, none of this crash dieting rubbish. I know it'll be hard work and take a long time, but I know I'll get there eventually, and I'm quite enjoying it at the moment. So what's the tie in with resin jewellery? Every time I get a certain amount of 'good food' days, I buy myself a mould, or some new beads. That way I've always got a target in sight and I can keep myself going to do the things I really want to do. I have this annoying habit- when I can't eat, I spend; when I can't spend, I eat. This is me trying to get a handle on both my finances and my weight, so we'll see how it goes. It feels good at the moment.

I'm still beavering away at silversmithing class; currently attempting in vain to solder a bail to my setting. It's really not going very well; I thought I had it but then...clink, it's fallen off. Going to attempt it again tomorrow, this time with a more flattened edge to give the solder some more purchase. Which reminds me, I really need to pay the second installment for the course, whoops!

I'm also starting a feature on this blog...I may not have many readers, but those who do read this seem to be fellow jewellery makers...so, I'm going to start a weekly 'Links I'm Obsessed With' feature...or maybe monthly, my obsessions are pretty long lasting! These are going to be jewellery related sites that inspire me, or make me drool, or smile, or anything! I'd love some suggestions, but for starters, I'm going to put up the sites I've been looking at most in the past few weeks. The original intention of blogs was to share information about the world we live in through links and stories, so it'll be me using a blog properly for once. I hope it leads to people discovering something new, and maybe giving some very talented people some business.

Time to get started then!

No comments: